Having successfully made a case-bound book (French link stitching, sewn-in endpapers) under the eye of a teacher, I thought I'd better practice on my own. It occurred to me that the hand-made paper that I did in the March 8 class at Pyramid Atlantic would be well used here, so I took the smaller size sheets and and folded them into signatures. All went well until the final casing. I had made the end paper out of paste paper made from a page of a broken book, and it turned out not to be strong enough. I also didn't glue it in correctly. Oops. Well, that's why we practice. The rear end paper did better, and I like my line printed face looking out from the musical score. Unfortunately, the book just doesn't open hardly at all. It looks OK, but doesn't function.
I clearly needed to try again, so I checked out some internet tutorials and figured out what I was doing wrong. This time I used the stack of larger size paper I made at Pyramid. Not as pretty and uniform as the smaller ones, but just fine for this project. I didn't try to get fancy with the end papers -- just used some Hahnemuhle Ingres paper. Things went much better this time and, except for the squares being not quite even, the book was a success. This one also features my own paste paper on the 1/4 cloth cover. Looks pretty good, I think. Here are some photos of the two books: